Are you a frugal fruitcake? 🎂

We’re looking for stories of extreme frugality! We want to hear of the lengths you’ve gone to in order to save a buck.

Whether it’s obsessively snipping out coupons, stockpiling goods when they’re on offer, walking everywhere instead of catching public transport or even making your own clothes - tell us your story.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see who writes back to this! I’m looking for some HOT tips from the #Frugalfruitcakes on how to retire early :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’ll get some tips off one of the lads at work, he’s the tightest person I know. He is however mortgage free. Who’s the fool!?

2 Likes

I heard back from my frugal friend. He tells me he only ate bread and hobnobs while cycling around Norway as they were the cheapest things in the shop. I’ve even seen him buy kids t-shirts if they’ll fit. He’s next level frugal.

3 Likes

@digixinja I invested in an Oracle Coffee machine at March last year, have been making my own morning coffee at home for over a year. I believe it’s now at a break even point, and hopefully it will continue working for a few more years, and eventuate some savings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

haha, I think when I first arrived in Australia (as a backpacker many years ago) having overspent in South East Asia, I decided how long I could eat only vegemite on toast to save money. Not being the most nutritious diet, it didn’t last long.

2 Likes

I never leave home in the morning without my homemade coffee, however since I still have one when I get in, not sure how much difference it makes financially. (although I do owe @CaptainXinja quite a few I think).

3 Likes

When studying law in Sydney I often had night classes in the CBD. I’d walk from Kensington to the harbour (where classes were) to reduce my p/transport spend and batch cooked meals to lower discretionary food spending. Worked a treat on a very minimal student budget!

3 Likes

Nothing revolutionary but I feel is rather underrated - but switching from buying lunch everyday to bulk cooking lunches (and sometimes even my arvie snacks) for the entire week has saved me loads - Potentially in the range of $50-$100 a week saved from this strategy.

I am a huge advocate!

3 Likes

@SmileyXinja you fill me with guilt! Going to put the lentil stew on now!!!

1 Like

My girlfriend used an Entertainment Book voucher on our third date, thought that was pretty ballsy.

2 Likes

I’m quite good like that, I cook lunches on Sundays and then eat them all week. It’s pretty boring, but not only saves money but also time and it’s healthier :innocent:

Love this @Ka_Coffiney!!! Obviously worked on you! Actually I should just check…was there a fourth date? :thinking:

1 Like

That’d be hilarious. Discounted ten pin bowling :metal:

Haha, yes, there was a fourth date…almost into a fourth year now.

4 Likes

@two_seven, when I first moved out of home my diet consisted of 99% fat free 2 minute noodles, frozen peas and tinned tuna. I was pretty proud of myself for incorporating carbs, protein and veggies in such a cheap meal. I really enjoyed it too!

1 Like

I’m telling you… noodles, tuna and frozen veggies… It will change your life. haha

Here are some I have adopted recently while on my journey to frugality; p.s some of you have got a shout out in the blog so be sure to check it out :wink:

• Outline your needs v wants. Identify the wants that you can live without, and agree that some of them are needs, even if its a family size crate of Milo every month. Family size is subjective, remember that.

• Set a savings goal and map out a plan to get there. Not just like “oh I want to save a grand”, but literally write down what money you are going to sacrifice from your monthly expenses, and then consciously agree not to spend it each month. For the first 3 weeks I was just putting everything on my credit card. (you can see why I need this)

• Talk to your grandparents. Or talk to mine if you want. They used to clean their houses and feed their children with 2 lemons and a can of beans, and still have leftover ham for supper. Where did they get the ham? How did they clean a house with 2 lemons? These are questions you should ask them, because they used to make do with much less and are now all sitting on piles of cash and property so… ask them how.

• Dip a toe outside your comfort zone, then a foot, then a leg. The best part about change is it forces you to reevaluate your routines. Some of them are straight garbage and you know it. Sometimes I eat a whole packet of gummy bears and a wheel of brie before I go to bed because I have terrible food control, I recently went away on holiday and did not have access to my usual supply of brie and gummy bears. All it took was a week, and now I don’t have the same cravings.

The same can be said for our savings, all it takes is cumulative small changes to achieve your goals, just remember to not take yourself to seriously (we’re all doing our best here) and to have fun with it. You’ll probably fail a bunch before you get it together, but you’ll feel better knowing you’re working towards something :wink:

(Xinja or myself is not giving any financial advice. Obviously we have not considered your personal circumstances we are simply sharing a few stories and talking about money mindsets from a general perspective. Xinja is not a ‘bank’ and cannot conduct ‘banking business’ yet, but is working with regulators to become a ‘bank’ and be able to conduct ‘banking business’!).

When you’re Online Shopping and about to finalise the purchase, do a quick Google search for a discount coupon/voucher code. This 2-minute search can save you money - eg. 15% off the purchase, or free shipping.
For the more tech-savvy, there is also a Chrome Add-In called ‘Honey’ that tries to automate this search for you, notifying you of coupons to try.
Most times, you won’t find a matching code. But it’s a bonus when you do.

2 Likes

100%! It usually finds one for ebay I’ve noticed, almost always get like a 5% off or something. Honey is awesome man!