"Hey Xinja, split the groceries with..."

Kinda like the title says, what are people’s thoughts on being able to set other Xinja users as contacts in the app, and then have the ability to mark that the next transaction that person does is being split X% with you?

So say you and your partner decide to go halves on a new game, then you could open up the Xinja app, tap on their name, and mark that their next transaction is 50% you. Then once they have paid, instead of the whole transaction showing on their account, only their 50% shows up, and the other shows up on yours not as a transfer but as the transaction itself.

A (slightly more) complex extension would be that when authorising the transaction Xinja doesn’t just check their bank balance but rather that all accounts “chipping in” have their requisite %, or if you and a bunch of friends are going on a road trip and you want to split fuel, then each friend could say that they are paying for x% (plus a bit if they get e.g. a drink from the service station).

A further extension would feed off of the “top-up” idea for friends that do not use Xinja as a bank - you’d put in their phone number and Xinja would text them a link for them to put in their card details, and once the transaction is done they are charged their portion (although how it would check the card has the requisite funds in a short period of time I don’t know… One for the team smarter than me!)

Oh, and of course tie it all in with Google Assistant when that arrives, so that we can just tell our phone what we are doing :laughing:

2 Likes

Because an idea is never fully fleshed out the first time: you could also probably set this up with other regular transactions if they occur e.g. rent

1 Like

Nice idea, but I’d say it’d be quite tricky to have a single transaction pulling money from multiple accounts. For example the eftpos functionality at the retailer would need to authorise multiple accounts which they simply aren’t setup to do.

I’d imagine this his would need to be a workflow in Xinja’s back end, performed in the background on a single transaction after it authorised from the purchasers account (so they’d need to have enough funds to cover the entire transaction).

It’s really just automating something that people are now doing manually (through a fund transfer)

2 Likes

I don’t know necessarily how EFTPOS is implemented in Australia (I do know that the company is also named Eftpos though!) but I would have thought that it would be that the retailer asks Eftpos (the company) to make the transaction, who then turns to the bank and asks for the money if possible. As to how the bank gets the money, I don’t know that Eftpos Ltd or the retailer would need to know how many accounts the transaction actually comes from or how the bank came to the approved/declined decision, just that in that moment, that card has the authority to move the required funds from wherever to the retailers bank account.

Still, I could be wrong. It may be that it can only check one account, since it is possible to check the balance of an account via EFTPOS, so :man_shrugging:

But yeah, an automated funds transfer would be better than nothing - was just thinking that keeping the transaction list smaller for the user would be cool (as well as being able to see exactly what it is you split the bill on!)

1 Like

Eftpos is actually owned by a group of banks including the big four and payment processing companies such as tyro, cuscal, indue etc.

Eftpos transactions are processed from a single card and against a single account. There are of course POS solutions out there that allow split payments, but again all that does is perform separate transactions against multiple cards which all need to be present.

What you’re suggesting is doable, but it would be Xinja’s functionality to build and it would occur post transaction. Almost like an automation for xinja.me I’d imagine.

1 Like

Hey @propoke24 Thanks for making this suggestion! Actually, some other apps like BeemIt let you pick several contacts to split $x into equal % (or you can manually change split amounts).

From experience, existing splitting features do send links or payment requests to nominated contacts so they can pay their share, as you’ve suggested, but this takes place post transaction.

It seems like the solution you’re proposing would take place pre-transaction? If this is what you’re after, vote up “Xinja.me” on our roadmap and add your comments re: pre-auth splitting.

1 Like

Just realised I never actually posted a reply to you :rofl:
Sorry!

I am suggesting pre-transaction splitting without it showing up as transfers in the app (an official statement may have to - but I’m not the regulator so I don’t know :laughing:)

I’ve made a comment on the Trello board with three scenarios (and two sub scenarios of the last one) that I can think of :wink:

1 Like

Hey Josh @propoke24 , saw your suggestions on the Trello board. I just don’t think it’s possible to do anything pre-transaction due to the reasons I mentioned. Eftpos devices don’t have the smarts to do this. All they can do is transact against one card and the one account linked to it.

The other thing to consider is that eftpos needs to be able to perform refunds also - again to one single account linked to a card. If what you’re suggesting is feasible (which it isn’t) how would another bank have any idea of the fact you wanted money refunded to 3 accounts? It wouldn’t, and that’s not even taking into account regulatory requirements that wouldn’t permit anything like this.

What you want would happen as transfers post transaction, that I’m positive about (for context I’ve had involvement testing integrated eftpos for one of the big ticketing companies and I don’t think there are any scenarios I didn’t test. I can tell you first hand that the way eftpos works what you want won’t be possible pre transaction)

So the way EFTPOS works in Aus is that the card is directly tied to the account and exposed to the merchant/the merchants bank? That seems like it’s ripe for manipulation if that’s the case :rofl:

I suppose I’m not too fussed on how it works under the hood, but I guess the net result is what I’m asking for: that on my transaction list, I see all items split with other people as just my share of that and for it to be categorised correctly, and that all that can be set up either pre or post transaction. If I tap on the item in the transaction list and see more details like the fact it’s technically a transfer to someone else or that it’s really a transaction for this much and then transfers from other accounts/top ups from a bank card then I guess that’s fine :laughing:

I still would have assumed though that there is some layer of indirection at Xinja’s end to determine if the account has appropriate funds based on the fact that overdrawn exist. I guess I naturally extended that a step further by thinking that all the card does is tell the merchant bank which bank to talk to about the transaction and how they talk (and what about) beyond that is up to them :blush:

1 Like

Happy to be told I’m wrong there though - just thought I’d clarify that :sweat_smile:
And good point about the refunds… I guess Xinja could just propagate the refunds backwards? Like back out to the original accounts

1 Like

Hey, no probs… and I’m by no means an expert :wink:

The card is linked to an account or account/s (for example a single card can be linked to a savings account and a cheque account, but not so much these days).

Your account isn’t fully exposed to the other bank. There are many parties involved so its quite complex - but for example your Xinja account is linked to a payment gateway (I think Xinja uses Indue, at least the prepaid card did) and that payment gateway is linked to the eftpos network which is used to transfer transaction info, PIN numbers etc. between parties. So there are a couple of steps before it gets to your account, and even then it isn’t fully exposed. The eftpos network queries to see if there is sufficient funds and that the transaction is allowed and if so completes the transaction and sends a response code back to the terminal. If its approved your bank releases the money, if not the response code will explain why.

You can go and google the eftpos response codes (there are a lot - from memory 00 is approved, 54 expired card, 55 invalid PIN - but i’m sure you’ve seen those at various times).

Anyway - someone from Xinja an confirm all of this technical stuff, but the point I’m making is that eftpos is complex and what you’re asking Xinja to do is change the way it works to suit your solution which they just can’t do :sunglasses:

1 Like