Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!
I’ve looked and voted – good process all round. It’s good being able to have input in the direction based on needs and requirements as a customer.
I’ve noticed there are items that have more votes for ‘Apr to Jun’ and ‘Future’ than the current window ‘Jan to Mar’. Would those votes not drive Xinja’s prioritisation for development? I don’t see why something like ‘Secret Sexy Squirrel’ (26 votes – I don’t even know what that is) would rate higher than fundamental account requirements like a joint account (71 votes), splitting bills (79 votes) or changing daily spend limits (72 votes).
I’ve taken the liberty to prioritise the list of tasks according to votes – just trying to help
Schedule recurring payment |178|2|
Transaction cats |155|4|
Spend notifications |129|5|
Multiple stashes |123|6|
Referral rewards |106|8|
Merchant logos |94|9|
Bill split |79|10|
Change daily spend limit |72|11|
Update pers info |71|12|
Joint accounts |71|12|
Int. payments |62|14|
Widget to check your balance |62|14|
Open banking |42|16|
Leave queries in chat |39|18|
Secret sexy squirrel |39|18|
Change notification settings |38|20|
In app spt |27|21|
Push notifications |27|21|
Samsung pay |20|23|
Xinja inbox |18|24|
Accessibility features |16|25|
Provision an additional testing |5|26|
I consolidated the loans (personal / home and general) to make it simpler. Many of the tasks that appear to be high on the list of things to do in the first half look to be driven by app developers than customer needs/requirements. I guess if customers aren’t worried about an ‘in-app support function’ (27 votes) or ‘provision an additional testing environment’ (5 votes), why put weight of effort behind it? The top 10 (of 26 tasks) make up 80% of the votes. The remaining 16 tasks only 20%. Only three in the top 10 are on the roadmap for Jan - Apr 2020 (Transaction categories, multiple stashes and merchant logos). For Apr - June 2020, three of the top 10 are prioritised – NPP/PayID, scheduled recurring payments and spend notifications. They collectively make up 32% of all the votes and aren’t being prioritised until Q2 2020! Of those tasks in the top 10, two aren’t being looked prioritised for first half 2020 (Loans and Bill splitting – 6.32% and 4.4% of votes respectively).
I’m loving what you guys are doing but there appears to be a disconnect between what people are telling you what they want in real time and where it’s being placed in future project development. Having dynamic information like this is a literal gold mine for a new start up. It’s not clear how things are prioritised if voting doesn’t seem to count…
Again, love what you guys have done and are achieving. Glad to be able to be part of the Xinja tribe.