Using debit card at register

Today I tried my shiny new debit card. I inserted it (as instructed for first-time use) and it gave me the option to take the funds from Savings or Credit. I was sure that I’d read (somewhere?) that you could use Savings, but in this instance it didn’t work, declined due to not being linked to this account. I used a card from another bank with a savings account.
I’ve been doing further reading which suggested I need to use the Credit option for the Xinja debit card.
This particular merchant charges fees for credit card transactions, but not for savings, and I shop there twice a week.
Is it correct that I can’t use the Savings option?

Hi, you need to use credit afaik, it’d be good if it was mentioned in the stuff you get with the card though

I had been looking into this same scenario with another card.

In Australia when carrying out a ‘Chip & Pin’ transaction with a Debit Card you have to choose ‘Credit’. This will always count as a debit card transaction (and shouldn’t incur the credit card surcharge), but only if the card you’re using is not also linked to a credit card account. In other words you should be fine choosing ‘Credit’ with your Xinja card. There are credit cards available in Australia which can also be used as debit cards simultaneously - the above mentioned caveat applies to those.

Hope this helps.

Hey @Brendi-loo, @Sky, @andreas - that is correct - it is ‘credit’ but that doesn’t mean you get charged. We’ve updated the packaging to call that out but you received the original version of packaging that didn’t …also we may put this on a sticker on the card itself to make it real clear moving forward. Thanks for the call out!

Thanks–I’ll give it a go! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just as an update to this: I shopped this morning at the store that charges a fee for credit card purchases (Aldi). I used the Xinja card as instructed (selecting Credit) and then received the warning that I would be charged the fee. I bailed out of the transaction and used another card.

So, I’m letting you know that fees do apply when using the card in this way.

It is the same as my HALO ring (with another bank) that takes funds out of my savings account—the fees apply with that as well, due to being locked in to the Mastercard system, like your card is.

ust as an update to this: I shopped this morning at the store that charges a fee for credit card purchases (Aldi). I used the Xinja card as instructed (selecting Credit) and then received the warning that I would be charged the fee. I bailed out of the transaction and used another card.

So, I’m letting you know that fees do apply when using the card in this way.

It is the same as my HALO ring (with another bank) that takes funds out of my savings account—the fees apply with that as well, due to being locked in to the Mastercard system, like your card is.

Adding onto this - Doctors clinics that process the Medicare refund immediately on site cannot be put back into the Xinja account using the linked card because it’s a ‘credit’ card.

Hey @Sky - it’s being added to the card packaging as we speak - this stuff takes a while to come thru but also emphasising more in welcome notifications - thanks for adding your voice as it helps us focus on key areas of confusion like this!